Saturday, January 4, 2014

THE NEPHEW

I, Jean Nadeau, was born in the time of Vichy, my literary father and pianist mother taken away to Drancy, and then to the camps. A Great-Aunt Sophia and my Uncle Marcel took me in briefly, then to a Catholic family, who sent me to an Oxford professor, James Mountain, who arranged for my education with a tutor Raymond Farr.

Fortunately, Raymond spoke French and German as we read novels by Flaubert, Proust, Goethe and Mann. My life had its own elective affinities. After the war Sophia and Marcel visited me and left me a legacy. That was the last of my family ties. They soon passed on, embittered by history.

I would go on day trips with James to Oxford. I began to study on the piano and violin giving recitals at lovely homes in my formative years.

"The exposure, Jean, will help you develop, and Raymond will see to that you have the best teachers of the Russian or Italian music methods."

"Thank you James. It's good to have a pal in you. But I'm only with adults."

"That was Sophia's wish and you are already an adult."

"Childhood is only preparation work."

"Why only work?"

"Raymond saw you writing your diary on Friday."

"I write my maxims, private thoughts, stories and am composing an opera called "The Tutor." I have already shown an outline to Raymond's friend Pollini at Covent Garden."

"I am glad you two get along well. My physical condition keeps me from being as active for your training as I would like."

In five years, James would be gone, but Jean inherits the house. Raymond takes me to Paris and we walk by the Seine.

"Perhaps we should live here and I could take early classes at the   Sorbonne."

"That can be arranged with an interview."

"I never want to lose your friendship, Ray."
 
"It's yours for the asking or the taking."

"I have written the opera "The Tutor" in French."

"Is it about me?"
 
"Us. Pollini has helped me through correspondence and will arrive in two weeks for my presentation."

Soon "The Tutor" is performed in Paris and in New York to rave reviews. Pollini becomes Jean's manager and arranger. Raymond wants to be a tutor for life. Old letters from Jean's parents arrive from a lawyer, telling him of their love for him.

When performing his opera in Warsaw Jean goes to pay tribute to his parents. There, Jean meets Anna, a pianist who too lost her family and quickly become friends, and eventually they tour together.

No comments:

Post a Comment