Sunday, August 28, 2016

BECAUSE IT IS DAWN

Because it is dawn
walking alone along
reading my poetry aloud
on Crane's beach
except for one other soul
in the high tide
looking like a bride
in a canopy
over the diving board
in her bright bikini
knowing it's O.K.
and not remiss
as she walks toward me
with a kiss of peace
not thinking something
may be amiss
yet she seems so assured
and being Sunday
maybe she thinks
we are still in church
but I believe it is pure
agape love to behave
in a friendly way
maybe she wants to talk
to a runner along the Bay
along the marathon waves
reaching out by the quay
trying to speculate
what awaits today
for our itinerary
maybe we both are
waiting for an escaping date
out in an ocean kayak
for I'm asking this diver out
with a rising quiver on my back
for who really
is this laughing swimmer
beside me in her bikini
not thinking of me as
just some wise guy
who reaches out to play jazz
over the beach's sunrise 
for all this soul can do in reply
is to my offer to the diver
in a deep splash
or try to take on the board
the Kierkegaardian leap of faith
as I have already
secured my reward.




No comments:

Post a Comment