Wednesday, August 10, 2016

FIRST RECITAL

My Aunt Sarah makes sure
I have a chocolate milkshake
at my violin debut
having eaten a croissant
as she fixes the strings
and hairy bow with rosin
tells me not to forget to bow,
it's not easy for a five year old
in white short pants
taking a risk
with ghost of the Lowell, Emerso
Coolidge
and Howell family 
seated on deck chairs and sofas
in the front row
coming out as hosts
at he Commonwealth club's
cotillion in Boston's high society,
where the pilgrims who dance
are now getting high
and the puritans take a chance
to listen to my playing Ives
judging with an aristocratic bent
after making
a charitable contribution
to the musical charity
that my aunt spent years
in helping new immigrants
as a lady with a dog walks by
with an accent of pretending
to just get by.



No comments:

Post a Comment