Monday, October 17, 2016

RETURN TO REALITY

A dawn wakes me
from my sleep
showing me his covenant
from a deep first light sun,
I'm already on my knees
on the Oriental rug
reciting Psalm ninety one
as orange and red leaves fall
over my lawn
outside the Cape window
from veiled Elm tree shadows
preparing for snow showers
on this breezy jazz Monday
Bach's  cantata
consoles me
and after I play my sax riffs
on these early cool hours
as Edith my neighbor is relaxing
on vast sheets by my cat
hovering over
my cabin fevered bed
knitting me a woolen sweater
telling her I'm planning to go 
cross country skiing in vacation
this coming starry winter
thriving in the cleft of woods
of a far mountain area
somewhere in Canada's hinterland
sharing my professor's letters
of praise of my lectures with her
which I left at my aunt's house
in Montpelier Vermont
after my last college reading
of a vast poetry collection
now housed in the library.


No comments:

Post a Comment