Monday, October 24, 2016

WATCHING

Watching a kite festival
by the island's river quays
though it is cold in the mist
and we start to shiver
in a nature's hunger
I'm wearing a angel-winged scarf
on a white shirt
in a Henry James sort of way
here by the finery of Manhattan
of a once Dutch New Amsterdam
near the brownstone ice pond
of my younger dangerous days
yet laughing
as we all resist leaving
because the suspended sun
is now out and so you begin
to play touch football
supporting strangers now friends
passing by the shouting crowd
but without any brawl at sports
in a proud Fall pattern of sorts
hearing the chilled voice
of my partner who is an orderly
who gives me a passing ball
with his amends to me
for a kicking injury
on the pinewood lawn
as I hear Hans's icy glass
giving me a friend's Daiquiri.


No comments:

Post a Comment